Skip to main content

Actaeon retro travel poster


In a group we created the concept for our planet we 
would promote space tourism for. we decided we would create our own imaginary planet which we would name after a mythical god and it would be purple. After some research we named the planet Actaeon after the Greek god/ hero. 


This is the poster I created on Adobe Illustrator to promote space tourism to Actaeon. I based the design on a magazine cover from my secondary research on 60s space posters.                                    
I used solid colours rather than gradients and used a calligraphy style outline around the purple land shape to mimic the pen style used on the 60s cover art. I used the paintbrush tool to draw the rivers connecting the lake and the sea. I added bulges to the top of the land with the pen tool to resemble huge mountains. I added black shadows to them to create more depth. For the atmosphere Used the pen tool to draw a flowing white cloud on the layer behind the planet and i added wiggly white lines across the planet for small clouds. I used a paint splash texture line to create masses of stars in the background. I downloaded the Actaeon font from a website with a range of 60s style fonts. I then covered this with a layer with a speckled texture on it. I used the transparent, multiply option to add this to my poster so that it looks like an authentic 60s space poster. 
Later I thought up the phrase "purple paradise" which i added on along with a retro space ship.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

These are two of the original photos we took at Sutton park to add to our collection of footage for our film which we later manipulated in photoshop to look more like an alien planet. We added a gradient map which made the sky orange and the rest a variety of shades of purple.

Low Poly Art

  I learnt the technique to create low poly images on photoshop. First I saved an image of a desert  landscape, imported it to photoshop and added a gradient map over it so it looked like it belonged on our planet, Actaeon. Then I used The polygonal lasso tool to draw a polygon (usually a triangle) over the top of the image. I then clicked on filter, went to blur and used the average option to make the area inside the selected polygon a flat colour based on the average of all the colours in it. I repeated this method across the entire image to create the low poly art. I think I was successful with this technique as my image has a lot of depth and contrast to it. The averaged out colours in the polygonal style help create a stylistic piece of art but also a realistic range of light and shadowy colours giving it a lot of depth and perspective.

Animal Inhabitant Sketches