Skip to main content

Inspirational images for retro space style


To inspire my own work I researched into retro style and vintage sci-fi art. I
collected images that I thought best resembled this theme. I mainly focused on collecting authentic 1950/60s sci-fi art because I wanted mine to look as similar to these as possible in terms of style.

I particularly like the colour scheme of this image. All the colours used are bright but they have a slightly toned down saturation and a grainy texture. I want to recreate this in my own designs so they would blend in if put next to posters like this as if they were created at the same time.






This book cover represents the typical cliche 60s ideal image of the future. The tight fitting, super hero reminiscent spacesuits with pants on the outside and glass dome helmets are impractical and ridiculous. The rocket ship is very generic for the time and not very well suited for high speed travel with its un-aerodynamic bulging shape. However, despite the criticisms I think the flaws add to the aesthetic of the art and make it distinctly 1960s. I may not make my posters have such naive features but I will adapt them into my own style and use similar desaturated bright colours as used in this art.















Comments

  1. Marlon can you critically analyse these posters to discuss what makes them look vintage? Discuss the use of colours, style of illustrations, use of fonts and anything that helps make them look aged. Explain how this has informed your own experimentation and ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment